Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Not Such A Good Night

Lindsay received her transplant 9 days ago! I can't get over how well she is improving. Last night was her first bad night with these new lungs. She was still in pain so she was given some pain meds and then she wasn't able to go to sleep so she was given a sleeping aid. Well it was either the combination of the 2 or the sleeping meds that turned her night into a horrific one. She was having the same dream over and over and it was quite bothersome to her so she stayed awake. It seemed to her that she was beginning to hallucinate because all of her friends were in her room making plans to go places and she tried to talk to some of them but they just ignored her and left. I called her this morning and she was very upset because she was confused and it was frightening to her. I rushed to the hospital to see if I can be of help to her in calming her down. She seemed to be ok besides her feeling alone and confused about these hallucinations. She was able to take a nap while I was there but when she woke up she began to see things that were not even happening. I didn't know how to handle it because I have never seen anyone do this. I wasn't sure if I should play along, or if I should tell her that what she was seeing was not happening. But I didn't want to do that in case I scared her even more. So when she told me some of her friends were in the bathroom I asked her if I should open it to see if they were there. She knew they were not there, but she saw them in the bathroom. Same thing with the T.V. she asked if I had turned the T.V. on, but it was never on. So I just asked her if she wanted me to turn it on for her. She has been off of her pain meds today and switched to Tylenol and she will not be taking a sleeping aid tonight. I hope last night will be the only night she experiences that. She didn't get discharged today because new prescriptions were made today and they are still at the pharmacy and we are waiting on an antibiotic to see if Kaiser is paying for it or Stanford. It mostly likely a go tomorrow. On a good note Lindsay was able to go outside and have a break from her room and all of the nurses. She was finally able to be outside and see the gardens. It was only for 15 minutes but it was nice for her to go outside and be free from her room.


Please NO SMOKING! You can't really tell, but Lindsay is smiling in these photos :)

No comments:

Post a Comment