Friday, May 8, 2009

Go Fish

I stayed with Lindsay last night in her hospital room and I now have a better understanding of why people don't like to stay in hospitals! We went to bed kind of late and she woke up twice to cough and at 6 am a nurse came to check her vitals. There must also be something about sleeping in an unfamiliar place that doesn't help either.
Unfortunately, Lindsay's morning x-ray shows she has fluids in her chest, so they will not be taking out the chest tubes until tomorrow :( She didn't get her PICC line either, but she got a Tunnel Venous Catheter instead. It is the same thing except it is put into her chest instead of the arm. A persons body can handle a few PICC's in a life time and Lindsay has already had 4. It eventually damages the vein and is harder to get placed. So the nurse went with the Tunnel Cath instead. We are still on schedule for moving to the apartments on Monday and answer to prayer...it will be covered! We were told at 1st we would have to put down some deposits (cleaning & linens) and pay a daily rate. It would have been anywhere from $15 - $75/day. We were hoping for $15 but as of this morning we received good news that it will be taken care of. We have been praying that the Lord will provide for us and He is doing just so! Lindsay's spirits are high...she is singing, laughing, smiling, planning her future, and she is getting back to her normal self. (Besides when medicated)
Here is the fun stuff...
Since Lindsay has her chest tubes in, she is experiencing a lot of pain. When they are taken out she expects to be fully independent. She has been taking pain meds, but yesterday the nurse decided to 'up' the dose since it wasn't helping much. Her first larger dose was given last night with Sid and I in the room. Although it is not the goal to knock her out, it is to subside the pain. Lindsay spilled water on herself so we changed her and the bedding. I cut her finger nails cause they were a bit long. By this time her meds kicked in. The second we put her back in bed she was out! Sid saw her tongue hanging out of her mouth. It was hilarious! I feel bad that it is comedy to me at her expense, but there is nothing like watching your sister act with heavy medication. Today she was having more pain so she got more pain meds. I broke out the playing cards so I can play because I knew she was going to sleep. But she saw them and wanted to play anyway. I decided on Go Fish because I felt it was the easiest game to play. I wish you were all there to see it! I passed out the cards and she started taking from the pile. She never asked me for any cards she just started taking them. I called her a cheater and she finally realized what she did. She was slurring her words a bit so I laughed as she told me to 'Go Fish' and later in the game she asked for an '8' so I gave it to her and she tried to pair it with an 'Ace.' When I asked her for matches she told me I was evil "taking from a crippled person." By the looks of the pictures I should have won but Lindsay won the game. I have a new camera courtesy to the Allen family, so now I can keep you updated with pictures as well. Enjoy!
*Lindsay took this one of herself*
*Morning Dose*

1 comment:

  1. Hi it's Steph. Lindsay, you are so Beautiful...and looking really great. You must be HIGHLY medicated because you were never the type to "cheat" at gold fish, lol. Rebecca, you are doing such an awesome job keeping Linz's spirits up, she is lucky to have a sister like you. All of us wish we could have been there the whole time with you guys, but Rachele is coming soon, then my mom, then me. Love you guys and everyone else I left out!

    ReplyDelete